Tuesday, November 11, 2008

AIR SHOW

SUNDAY - 11/9 - This was to have been our "big outing" to the Kennedy Space Center for a big air show. All of M&C's family, plus several of Christina's friends and another family the kids know. Late Saturday night, we just happened to catch a news show which said - thousands were turned away from Saturday's airshow due to overcrowding, and these people were guaranteed attendance at Sunday's show. And, Sunday's show was SOLD OUT! Poot. I asked Mike if they already had tickets, and he said "No." Thus endeth the airshow.

Since they had promised us a day at the beach, I suggested going there and everyone readily agreed. They are only 45 minutes away from a popular public beach, called Cocoa Beach, so after packing a picnic lunch, gathering up chairs, towels and play toys, we headed over to the beach. It was a perfect day, mid to high 70's and quite comfortable by the ocean.

Some of you will remember what I think is one of my GREAT lines from diaries past, when we visited Florida in Miss Dazy several years ago, Julio took us to a Miami area beach and for the first time ever, I got to stand in the ATLANTIC Ocean. I vividly remember saying, "Here I stand in the mighty Atlantic, with the waves, CRASHING against my ankles." Yes, ankles. Hmmmm. Floridians say that was not typical, and sure enough, at Cocoa Beach there were fair size waves, 4-5' high, and kids were surfboarding and boogie boarding. Zak & Cabe had a ball playing in the surf, as did Christina and her two friends. I even hobbled down to the water, which seemed slightly chilly at first but I quickly adjusted to it. I avoided getting wet while jumping waves by pulling up my walking shorts. However, I was fooling around with a kid, pretending to drop him into the water, and since my hands were full, a good size wave hit me, I got wet clear into my non-walking shorts. Geeze!

We played, girl-watched, ate and fed the seagulls until the sun went behind a condo, and then it started to cool down rapidly, so we headed on home. Nice to be so close to home. Our kids are really enjoying the Florida recreational water opportunities. In fact, they seem to be thoroughly enjoying ALL of Florida's advantages, and they are (admittedly) numerous.

Ah, just remembered another little defugalty, which didn't happen to me for a change. I continually compare Florida to Arizona, and one thing I really like about M&C's residential location, is that there aren't zillions of cars parked ON the street. In their Arizona neighborhood, sometimes you couldn't get two cars to pass because of parked cars. Well, an incident happened last Saturday night, or early morning, that explains why. One of Christina's friends was staying the night, and parked her Dad's car on the street in front of M&C's. Then next morning it was GONE. Panic set in until a neighbor pointed out that it had probably been towed, as no cars can be left on the street overnight. M&C were not aware of that, and probably haven't studied the neighborhood covenants very carefully. But, a really pissed Scottish father came over to pick up his daughter and coughed up $112 cash to retrieve the car. See, no all defugalties happen to me!

No comments: